Travel To The Netherlands
Dutch citizens living in The Netherlands at the time of the conference can travel in and out of Leiden with no trouble at all.
All other citizens will need a valid passport to travel into The Netherlands via automobile, train or airplane.
Do I need a Visa to travel to The Netherlands?
Please review this list of countries that do and do not require a visa when crossing the external borders:
These requirements are not necessary if your country is part of the Schengen agreement.
If you do not require a visa to travel to The Netherlands, these are the conditions for visa-free travel:
Conditions for visa-free travel
Whether you can enter the Netherlands without a visa depends on your nationality. If your country is not on the list of countries whose nationals require a visa (PDF, 87 KB), you can enter the Netherlands and the Schengen Area without one. You will, however, still need to meet certain requirements:
- You must hold a passport or travel document issued within the last 10 years.
- Your passport or travel document must be valid for at least 3 months after your date of departure.
- You must have proof that you have enough money to cover your costs for the duration of your stay (€34 a day). If you cannot meet this requirement, you can ask someone to act as a guarantor for you.
- You must be able to demonstrate the purpose of your stay to customs and immigration officials.
- You must be able to prove you have travel insurance that covers medical expenses.
- You must have a return or onward ticket.
- You must not be considered a threat to public order, national security or international relations.
- The Netherlands conditions for visa-free travel information can be viewed here.
For even more information on traveling to The Netherlands:
If you need to apply for a passport, or renew your passport, leave yourself enough time to do so as the application process can take up to 6 weeks. Additional fees apply for expedited services. To apply for a US passport, click here. For citizens of countries other than the US, please consult your local government for the passport application process.
SMDM recommends that U.S. attendees register for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
** It is the attendees responsibility to confirm and acquire the proper travel documents for entry into The Netherlands. SMDM does not refund conference registration fees for those denied entry into The Netherlands.**
MDM offers rigorous and systematic approaches to decision making that are designed to improve the health and clinical care of individuals and to assist with health policy development.