Mission, Purpose, Vision and Goals
The Society for Medical Decision Making aims to advance medical decision-making research and practice to improve health outcomes. Members work together with patients, clinicians, researchers, policy-makers and the public to improve the quality, patient-centeredness, and value of health decisions.
The Society for Medical Decision Making is dedicated to promoting rational and systematic approaches to decision making that will improve the health and clinical care of individuals and assist health policy formation. The cornerstones of our mission are multidisciplinary scholarship, the development of applications that benefit patients and society, the evaluation of such applications, and dissemination.
Our vision is that systematic proactive approaches should be used for decision making in health care. We are promoting an integrated approach to health care decision making based on multiple perspectives and expertise from multiple disciplines. Optimal communication among those involved in healthcare decisions will facilitate informed and shared decision-making by policy-makers, physicians, patients, and the public.
We value interdisciplinary scholarship and a global perspective on health care. Methodological excellence, both in breadth and depth, is important to us. At the same time we value the inspiring, energizing, respectful, collegial, and friendly learning environment that the Society provides. By being connected to the health care enterprise in diverse ways we hope to have a positive impact on decision making in health care.
The SMDM 2022-2024 Strategic Plan was developed in 2021 by the SMDM Board of Trustees based on the input of dozens of members and SMDM leaders provided through surveys, focus groups, live brainstorming sessions and email discussions. This 3-year plan allows the SMDM to be nimble in the context of the ever-changing demands of the COVID-19-shaped environment. The plan focuses on those activities that can have the highest return on our investment of resources, and are most aligned with our mission, vision, values, and member career goals.
SMDM encourages all members to become involved. Please email Diane Nickolson, SMDM Executive Director at DNickolson@SMDM.org if you wish to engage and contribute.
SMDM 2022-2024 Strategic Objectives
1. Create more opportunities for collaboration both within and between the many disciplines, application areas, and work environments in which SMDM members and stakeholders operate.
2. Expand access to SMDM educational and networking offerings beyond the scientific meetings.
3. Strengthen SMDM’s brand and reputation as methods experts including help catalyze methods innovation and teach methods in accessible ways.
SMDM 2022-2024 Strategic Activities
1. Building “matchmaking” programs and platforms that help connect members within and across disciplines and work environments. Ideas include directories of expertise, virtual idea labs for building collaborations, matchmaking sessions and more.
2. Enhancing our member-to-member communications. This includes updating the listserv, website and member portal.
3. Expanding short course and educational offerings, including more virtual options and advanced certification programs.
4. Rethinking scientific meeting structures. Options include new formats (in-person, virtual, hybrid), timing, locations and scientific tracks.
5. Hosting educational activities for effective communication, translation and dissemination of research to different audiences.
6. Developing 1-2 new webinars to facilitate collaboration and/or methods innovation.
7. Sponsoring 1-2 scientific consensus or guidance papers on methods or practice of health decision making.
Become a Member
SMDM members contribute critically to health policy research in the areas of evidence-based medicine, cost effective health care, patient decision making and public health. SMDM helps you to be more than just a face in the crowd. The connections you make through SMDM can help you build a network of long-term contacts to help you throughout your career.
"It has been a pleasure to be a link between Brazil and my colleagues from around the world through conferences, teleconferences, short-courses and exchange of ideas."continue »
MDM offers rigorous and systematic approaches to decision making that are designed to improve the health and clinical care of individuals and to assist with health policy development.