Join an SMDM Committee or Interest Group
SMDM is always looking for volunteers to join any of its committees or interest groups. Read more about the SMDM Committees and Interest Groups below. If you are interested in joining a committee or interest group, please write firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest and you will be directed to the appropriate chair.
SMDM's standing committees continue from year to year.
View a description of SMDM's standing committees.
SMDM has the following standing committees:
• Awards Committee (Chair: Karen Sepucha, PhD)
• Education Committee (Chair: To be determined)
• Career Development Committee (Co-Chairs: Tara Lavelle, PhD and Channing Tate, MPH) *Note: The Career Development Committee is a subcommittee of the Education Committee
• Executive Committee (Chair: Lisa Prosser, PhD) *Note: This committee is closed to the Executive Officers of SMDM.
• Finance Committee (Chair: Bruce Schackman, PhD)
• Membership Committee (Chair: Ellen Lipstein, MD)
• Nominating Committee (Chair: Heather Taffet Gold, PhD) *Note: Committee members are elected at the SMDM Annual Business Meeting each Fall per SMDM regulations.
• Publications Committee (Chair: Elisabeth Fenwick, PhD)
• Regulations Committee (Chair: John Clarke, MD)
Interest Groups are formed by Members of the Society who wish to network with medical decision researchers with similar research interests. Groups schedule in-person meetings during SMDM meetings and use SMDM Connect for online discussions, information sharing, and networking throughout the year. Each group chooses a Leader or co-Leaders who organize and lead in-person meetings. View a description of each interest group.
SMDM has Interest Groups in the following areas:
• Clinical Research Integrity (Chair: Roy Poses, MD)
• CTSA CER (Chair: Joel Tsevat, MD, MPH)
• Decision Psychology (Co-Chairs: Dana Alden, PhD and Rob Hamm, PhD)
• Diagnostic Errors (Chair: Olga Kostopoulou, PhD)
• Discrete Event Simulation (Chair: James Stahl, MD)
• Ethics Research (Chair: Luciana Garbayo, MD, PhD)
• Global Health (Chair: Fernando Alarid-Escudero, PhD)
• Implementation Science and Knowledge Transfer (Chair: Sarah Munro, PhD)
• Infectious Disease Modeling (Co-Chairs: Eva Enns, PhD and William Wong, PhD)
• Lifestyle & Well-Being (Co-Chairs: Tanya Bentley, PhD and Myriam Hunink, MD, PhD)
• Medical Informatics (Chair: David Chartash, PhD)
• Methods Development in Health Economic Evaluation (Co-Chairs: Mike Paulden, PhD and Torbjørn Wisløff, PhD
• Operations Research (Chair: Muge Capan, PhD)
• Pediatrics (Co-Chairs: Jody Lin, MD and Davene Wright, PhD)
• Shared Decision Making (Interim Chair: Joanna Siegel, ScD)
• Teaching MDM (Chair: Ashley Leech, PhD)
SMDM Members can view full descriptions of each group by logging into SMDM Connect and selecting Interest Groups under the Groups dropdown menu. Interest Groups are open to Members by clicking the green join+ button.
Interested in Forming a New Interest Group?
Any individual SMDM member or group of SMDM members that share a common interest in line with SMDM’s mission and wish to establish a new SMDM Interest Group should contact email@example.com to indicate their intent, address preliminary questions, and prepare an application.
The application consists of:
• Rationale, objective and description of the proposed IG
• Goal for first IG meeting
• Proposed IG Leader(s)
• Potential IG members [list 5 to show that there will be enough support to get the group started]
Committee and Interest Group information is current as of April 2020.
"SMDM has been my professional home for about 20 years now."continue »
MDM offers rigorous and systematic approaches to decision making that are designed to improve the health and clinical care of individuals and to assist with health policy development.