Society for Medical Decision Making Announces Retirement of Jill Metcalf, MBA, Executive Director
August 20, 2019
With tremendous gratitude and appreciation, we announce the retirement of our inaugural Executive Director, Jill Metcalf, effective October 31, 2019. For the past 13 years, Jill has led the Society for Medical Decision Making into new areas of growth, improved our financial stability, created strong administrative and governance infrastructures, and formed new partnerships to support the goals of the Society. Under her clear leadership and guidance, the Society has achieved a number of critical goals including:
• Sourcing and onboarding a highly competent administrative and management partner in PMA, our administrative management team
• Creating and documenting policies and procedures for governance, meeting planning, committee functioning, and for building strategic partnerships
• Stabilizing processes and funding sources for SMDM meetings
• Using technology to streamline our administrative functions and costs
• Increasing the reach and impact of SMDM’s programs including fundraising to support new initiatives and joint projects or meetings with Diagnostic Errors in Medicine (DEM), The Professional Society for Health Economics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) and The Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS).
We are extraordinarily grateful to Jill for her many years of service to SMDM and wish her well in her retirement.
In the coming months, we will be following a swift timeline to hire a new Executive Director to lead SMDM in its continued success. We have already initiated the first steps of the search process and in the coming weeks we will formally launch the search. During the transition period, it is our priority to take the necessary time to identify the best person for the Executive Director position, while still maintaining a stable and effective organization. Jill has graciously agreed to be available for consultation during the interim period. Staff at PMA will continue their excellent and strong support of SMDM.
We look forward to sharing the job announcement soon and will invite your help in identifying suitable candidates who could support SMDM in its successful trajectory.
Again, we cannot thank Jill enough for her dedication and commitment over the past 13 years. We will celebrate her tenure at the upcoming annual meeting in October and look forward to having you join us in thanking her in person. She will be greatly missed.
If you have any issues or concerns during this transition process, please contact either of us: Heather Taffet Gold, PhD, President (Heather.Gold@nyulangone.org) or Lisa Prosser, PhD, President-Elect (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Heather Taffet Gold, PhD
Lisa A. Prosser, PhD
MDM offers rigorous and systematic approaches to decision making that are designed to improve the health and clinical care of individuals and to assist with health policy development.